Stay On Your Feet
Stay on your Feet (SOYF) is the regional strategy that supports healthy active aging for older adults in the NE LHIN. We are working together across the NE LHIN to help older adults stay active, stay independent and stay on their feet.
Every day older adults in the NE fall and need medical attention. In fact, one in three older adults 65+ fall each year, even though falls are preventable.
Free exercise classes are available across the region for older adults (65+). Click on the button to the right to find the class nearest you.
Stand Up! fall prevention exercise classes are offered across the region – Click on the button to the right to find out more.
Did You Know?
- Falling is not a normal part of aging
- Most falls are due to health or lifestyle factors.
- Falls can cause injury and reduce mobility and independence
- Most falls are predictable and preventable
Primary Care and Falls Prevention
Nine Steps to Prevent a Fall:
- Be Active
- Walk Tall
- Improve Your Balance
- Foot Care and Safe Footwear
- Manage Your Health
- Manage Your Medications
- Regularly Check Your Eyesight and Hearing
- Eat Well for Life
- Identify, Remove and Report Hazards
SOYF Regional Committee
The Stay on Your Feet regional strategy is guided by the Stay on your feet Regional Steering Committee. Contact your local health unit to find out how to get involved in the local SOYF coalitions.
How Do You Eat Well?
Stay On Your Feet - The Benefits
For More Information Call Your Local Health Unit:
- Algoma: Helen Kwolek, Public Health Nurse, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-866-892-0172
- North Bay Parry Sound: Joanna Han, Community Health Promoter, email@example.com, 1-800-563-2808
- Porcupine: Patrick Nowak, Patrick.Nowak@porcupinehu.on.ca, 1-800-461-1818
- Sudbury & District: Raymond Beaudry, RN, Public Health Nurse, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-866-522-9200 or Teresa Lazinski, RN, email@example.com, 1-866-522-9200
- Timiskaming: Lorna Desmarais, Public Health Promoter, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-866-747-4305, ext. 2239
For more information contact: Wendy Carew, Regional Coordinator SOYF, NE LHIN, email@example.com or 705-840-1610